BREAKFAST: Orient Express Oatmeal
• 3/4 cup plain instant oatmeal
• 1 cup 1% milk
• 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
• 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
• 1 tablespoon low fat vanilla yogurt
1. Mix the oats, milk, almonds, ginger, honey, and flaxseed in a microwavable bowl. Heat for 2 minutes. Top with yogurt.
LUNCH: Turkey Chili
• 1 pound lean ground turkey
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 2 large tomatoes (or 2 cups canned, unsalted tomatoes)
• 4 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup chopped celery
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder or to taste
• Water, as desired
• 2 tablespoons cornmeal
• Jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, as desired
1. In a soup pot, add the ground turkey and onion. Over medium heat sauté until the meat is browned and the onion is translucent. Drain well.
2. Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, celery, sugar and chili powder to the ground turkey mixture. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Uncover and add water to desired consistency. Stir in cornmeal. Cook for at least 10 minutes more to allow the flavors to blend.
3. Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with jalapeno peppers, if desired. Serve immediately.
DINNER: Brown Rice and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
• 5 cups brown rice, cooked
• 1 can black beans, drained
• 1 cup corn
• 2 cups chopped vegetables
• 1 cup onions, diced
• 1 12-ounce bottle enchilada sauce
• ½ cup low-fat shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, except for cheese. Pour mixture into a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
3. Remove dish from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake another 10 minutes. Serve.