Police Department | 1525 Arkansas Ln. | Grand Prairie, TX 75052 | Front Desk: 972-237-8790 | Contact
The Lake Patrol is responsible for patrolling the water surface and lake parks of the Lake Joe Pool recreational area. Lake Patrol is staffed with four full-time officers, a sergeant and reserve officers when available.
The Lake Patrol officers utilize two boats, two jet skis, four all terrain vehicles (ATVs), five bicycles, five patrol vehicles and one pick up, as well as other specialized equipment to respond to calls for service, emergencies, lake inspections and assisting boaters in the lake areas of Grand Prairie.
In addition to the police duties, the Lake Patrol officers assist the Fire Department dive team, Texas Parks and Wildlife Boaters Education and also assist with the North Texas Water Safety Coalition.
Joe Pool Lake opened in 1989. The Trinity River Authority operated Loyd Park, Lynn Creek Park and Britton Park until 2001 when the City of Grand Prairie Parks and Recreation took over the park operations in these lake parks. Loyd Park is open year round and offers 220 campsites, group pavilions, hiking trails and more. The lake also offers Lynn Creek Marina and Park and Britton Park.
The Grand Prairie Police Department is committed to continually provide a safe boating environment and recreation area for Lake Joe Pool visitors.
Joe Pool Lake Statistics
- There have been 46 deaths at the lake since it opened in 1989.
- 5 deaths from boating accidents.
- 1 death resulting from a vehicle accident.
- 9 children 13 or younger have drowned, 6 females and 3 males.
- 2 adult females have drowned.
- 27 adult males have drowned.
- 1 male while working on his boat passed away from a heart attack.
- 1 adult male was struck and killed by lightning.