Recycling | 1102 MacArthur Blvd. | Grand Prairie, TX 75050 | Phone 972-237-8151 | Fax 972-237-9408 | E-Mail
The next Master Composter training is scheduled for Saturday, September 6, 2014. The training – which includes both classroom and "hands-on" instruction – will take place at city facilities and the Kirby Creek Nature Center’s Exhibition Garden.
The $25 Grand Prairie resident registration fee and $40 non-Grand Prairie resident registration fee includes a compost thermometer, the Rodale Book of Composting and lunch.
Grand Prairie is one of the few cities in the Dallas/Fort Worth metropolitan area that offers the course. Anyone interested in achieving a sustainable backyard lifestyle will benefit from composter training – whether they choose to certify or not.
Certification as a City of Grand Prairie Master Composter requires classroom training and 40 hours of unpaid volunteer community service in the area of composting. A compost bin is provided after completing 20 hours at Kirby Creek Garden.
The following are suggested additional activities to complete the remaining 20 hour volunteer requirement:
- A field trip to a local landfill, centralized composting site and/or backyard compost demonstration site.
- Assigned reading in a composting book or magazine, with follow-up presentations or discussion.
- Meeting with City or Council of Governments officials to learn more about solid waste and composting services in your community, and related issues.
- Meeting with a local agent of the Texas Agricultural Extension Service to learn about the promotion of composting and other organic materials management programs in the county.
- Volunteering in other City of Grand Prairie programs related to composting and gardening.
- Staffing information booths on composting at public events.
- Making presentations on composting to interested groups or individuals.
- Conducting "how-to" workshops and trainings on composting.
- Establishing and constructing backyard composting demonstration sites.
- Speaking to local officials on the value of composting.
- Any other activity approved by the Recycling and Composting Coordinator.
The following sheets help you keep track of your volunteer hours:
Note: Information on this page may be changed at any time. Please contact the Recycling and Composting Coordinator at 972-237-8061 or e-mail email@example.com, if you have any questions.