Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government

What permits do I need? 
You will need a certificate of occupancy for the place of business. Contact the city's Building Inspection Division, 206 W. Church St., for details, 972-237-8230.

If you are working out of your home, you may also need to obtain a certificate of occupancy. If you are building a new building, you will need to contact the Development Center.

City of Grand Prairie does not issue or require business licenses.

City of Grand Prairie Resources

Building E-Permits
With the Building Inspection Division's E-Permits, you can track the status of your permit application, obtain plan review comments & fee information, schedule or cancel an inspection and get inspection results.

Certificate of Occupancy
Grand Prairie Building Inspection Division
206 W. Church St.

Site Location Search
Contact Economic Development at 972-237-8160 or 972-237-8327.

The city of Grand Prairie does not offer grants or loans to businesses. City Council-approved incentives may be available, depending on added taxable investment and added jobs. Visit our Incentives Web page to learn about incentive programs offered by the city.

Grand Prairie Economic Development Department 

Water Service
Grand Prairie Water Utilities

Local Resources

Business Centers and Libraries
These following are business support organizations that supply free guidance to individuals who are starting a business or trying to make their business more competitive.

Bill J. Priest Institute
402 Corinth St.
Dallas 75215
Phone: 214-860-5900

Best Southwest Small Business Development Center
Obie Greenleaf, Jr., Director
207 Cannady Dr.
Cedar Hill, TX 75104
Phone: 972-860-7893

Fort Worth Business Assistance Center
1150 South Freeway
Fort Worth, TX 76104 Phone: 817-871-6001

Assumed Name / Doing Business As (DBA)
Register your business name in the county or counties in which you will do business.

Arlington branch, Tarrant County Clerk
724 E. Border St.
Arlington 76010

Dallas County Clerk, Assumed Name Section
509 Main St.
Dallas 75202

Tarrant County Clerk's Locations for Obtaining an Assumed Name (DBA)
100 W. Weatherford St.
Fort Worth 76196

Electricity, Gas Service
866-797-4839, Power To Choose

Small Business Administration
Information about various management, procurement and loan programs to assist small businesses may be obtained by contacting the Small Business Administration.

Small Business Administration
4300 Amon Carter Blvd. Suite 114
Fort Worth, Texas 76155

Small Business Administration Counseling
6260 E Mockingbird Lane Amon Carter Blvd. Suite 114
Dallas, Texas 75214

WorkSource for Dallas County

WorkSource for Dallas County: Kessler Hills
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051

State Resources

For corporate certificates and all information pertaining to filing of articles of incorporation or authority of foreign corporations to do business in Texas, contact the Secretary of State.

Incorporation of business
Secretary of State

Assumed Business Name Certificate
A domestic or foreign corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or other foreign filing entity that regularly conducts business or renders a professional service in this state under a name other than its legal name (the name stated in its certificate of formation or comparable document) must file an assumed name certificate with the secretary of state and with the county clerk in the appropriate county.

Form 503 (revised 01/06):
Filing Fee: $25.00
Secretary of State Contact Information:
P.O. Box 13697, Austin, Texas 78711-3697
Office: 512-463-5555
Fax: 512-463-5709

Business Owners or managers of a new business in Grand Prairie, Texas, might find it beneficial to contact the Comptroller Office of the State of Texas for information on Sales Taxes, Store Taxes and other laws administered by this office.

Texas State Comptroller's Office
P.O. Box 13528, Capitol Station
Austin, TX 78711-3528   

Check with the State to determine if any statewide permits or licenses are required:

Office of the Governor
Economic Development and Tourism Division

The Texas Office of the Governor Grants Team lists sources of grant funds, links to federal, state and general databases, information on foundations, among other things.

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission
Information about licenses and fees pertaining to the sale, transportation or storage of alcoholic beverages can be obtained from the Liquor Control Board.

Dallas Enforcement District 6 (North Region Main Office)
8700 N Stemmons Freeway, Suite 460
Dallas, TX 75247
Fax: 214-678-4001
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday

Obtain information from the Texas Employment Commission regarding the collection of unemployment insurance, tax, and benefits to qualifying employees.

Texas Workforce Commission
Tax Department
East Central Region
101 E. 15th St., Room 330
Austin, Texas 78701

Obtain information from Bureau of Labor Statistics on laws that relate to employers and safety.

Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations
920 Colorado
Austin, Texas 78701

Information concerning requirements to be complied with on the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 can be obtained from the Texas Department of State Health Services or the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

Texas Department of State Health Services
P.O. Box 149347
Austin, Texas 78714-9347

U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration – Austin Office

1033 La Posada Dr., Suite 375
Austin, Texas 78752-3832

Federal Resources

The Internal Revenue Service Website has a small business section that offers guidelines on choosing a business type (sole proprietorship, S Corporation, partnership, etc.) and evaluating tax implications. The site includes lecture and question-and-answer style seminars presented in multimedia.

IRS Small-Business Guide

The Fair Labor Standards Act requires employers to maintain records on wages, hours and other items. Employers having workers subject to minimum wage provisions must display certain posters where employees can readily see them.

U.S. Department of Labor
Wage and Hour Division
San Antonio District Office
Northchase 1 Office Building
10127 Morocco, Suite 140
San Antonio, Texas 78216

Information concerning import and export procedures can be obtained form the International Trade Division of the Department of Commerce or the Small Business Development Center (SBDC).

International Trade Administration – Austin Office
221 E. 11th St., 4th Floor
Austin, TX 78701

Area Wage Survey Information is available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Bureau of Labor Statistics – Southwest Office
EA&I, Room 221 525 Griffin St.
Dallas, TX 75202

Information concerning environmental control requirements can be obtained from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) or the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

TCEQ Region 11 - Austin
2800 S IH 35, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78704-5712

EPA Region 61445 Ross Ave., Suite 1200
Dallas, Texas 75202

Federal grant opportunities can be found at

County Appraisal District Info

Property Tax on Business Personal Property
File your Business Personal Property (BPP) rendition (April 15th deadline each year) to county appraisal district.

Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD)
2500 Handley-Ederville Road
Fort Worth, TX 76118-6982

Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD)
2949 North Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, TX 75247
Customer Service: 214-631-0910
Main Switchboard: 214-631-0520
E-mail (inquiries for Business Personal Property):

Last updated: 3/12/2015 11:09:37 AM