Grand Prairie Municipal Court | 200 W. Main St. | P.O. Box 534045 | Grand Prairie, TX 75053
Phone 972-237-8600 | E-Mail
Driving Safety Information (Defensive Driving)You are eligible to take a Driving Safety class to keep a ticket off of your record if:
The following offenses do not qualify for defensive driving:
- You have a valid Texas driver's license (driver's with commercial license are ineligible)
- You have current proof of Texas liability insurance
- You have not taken a defensive driving class within the last twelve (12) months immediately preceding the date of the alleged offense
- You are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation
- You request a driving safety course on or before your appearance date
- Speeding 25 miles per hour (or more) over the posted limit
- Passing a stopped school bus
- Moving violation within a posted construction zone while workers are present
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Fleeing police
- Penal Code or City Ordinance offenses
If you qualify for defensive driving and would like to request it online, please click here.
You will need be ready to upload the following documents during the process.
- Copy of Drivers License
- Copy of Current Insurance
- Defensive Driving Request Form (Must be notarized)
If the option of defensive driving does not appear then you are not eligible or qualify.In order to request defensive driving by mail, you must:
- Submit a valid Texas Driver's License
- Provide proof of Texas liability insurance in your name (valid on the day of request)
- Submit a check or money order, made payable to the City of Grand Prairie, in the amount of the appropriate court fees: $114.00 (if the offense was not committed in a school zone); $139.00 (if the offense was committed in a school zone—this applies to all offenses, not just speeding)
- Submit a written request to take a driving safety course (you may utilize the back of your ticket for this purpose or complete a Request to Take Defensive Driving form)
- Enter a plea of guilty or no contest (you may utilize the back of your ticket for this purpose or complete a Request to Take Defensive Driving form)
Your request must be received by your scheduled appearance date. Once you are approved by the Municipal Court, you will receive a confirmation letter along with further instructions for completing your requirements.
Your instructions will include the following:
- It is your responsibility to locate, pay for and attend a Driving Safety Course
- You have a 90 day period (from the date of judgment) to complete a driving safety course
- You must submit a Request for Driving Record, along with a $10 fee, to the Texas Department of Public Safety. You may obtain your driving record online at www.texasonline.com for a $12.00 fee. Your Driving Record must be returned to the Court along with your Course Completion Certificate.