Housing and Neighborhood Services | 205 W. Church St. | P.O. Box 534045
Grand Prairie, TX 75053 | Phone 972-237-8040 | Fax 972-237-8318
Hours: Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m.-noon
The city of Grand Prairie will unveil the first city-owned zero-energy home during an open house event 10 a.m.-1 p.m. for the public on Saturday, June 15, at 713 College St.
The 1,250-square-foot house is designed with the latest green technology that cuts energy use to zero. The city plans to temporarily house families who need a place to stay while their deteriorated homes are being reconstructed as part of the city’s HOME Reconstruct Program. The zero-energy home saves the city relocation, rental and utility costs.
Over the course of 12 months, based on implemented upgrades and designs, the city
expects to have net “0” energy usage for this house, and expects to actually sell some generated electricity back to the energy provider.
Building this home is only the first phase for Grand Prairie Housing and Neighborhood Services. Some of the new zero-energy technologies will be further implemented in other housing programs involving construction and rehabilitation. Not only does this project save energy costs to the homeowner, it will also be used as a demonstration facility to educate the public about the energy conservation and the latest zero-energy technology.
The Zero Energy House will incorporate many high energy efficiency items to conserve and minimize electricity usage:
- Slab insulation
- Advanced Framing techniques to allow additional insulation capability
- Spray-in open-cell foam insulation to create an “ inner envelope” that includes the attic space.
- High performance insulated windows
- Air infiltration reduction
- Custom designed high performance heat pump HVAC system
- Water efficient appliances/fixtures
- High efficiency electrical appliances
- Solar thermal hot water system
- High efficacy lighting – fluorescent and/or LED
- Electricity Generation Systems:
• Solar photo voltaic panels
• Wind generation